Surviving as an Introvert in Haiti

With a friend at our place of worship. (Her face
is blurred to respect her privacy)

I'm an introvert by nature. In fact, I would be perfectly content to go for days on end with my only human interaction being between me and my husband. Alas, I often have to set aside my introversion for various reasons. Haiti has made things worse. Well, or better—it depends on how you look at it. Let's just say that Haiti makes it more difficult for me to stay in my comfortable little shell of shyness.

Haitian Culture Is All About People

In the U.S., I could go practically anywhere, whether it was the grocery store, a tourist attraction, or just around the neighborhood, and no one would think I was rude if I didn't make eye contact or offer a greeting. Haiti is quite different. Rather than having the "cold shoulder" culture that I am used to, I find myself in a land where an abundance of human interaction is necessary.

For example, when my husband and I go for walks around our neighborhood, we say "bonswa" to various people more times than I can count. We also have to pause often because my husband is well-known in the community. He is a teacher, so many people here have learned English from him. He also served as a full-time minister in this area for several years, so people know him for that work as well. Additionally, he is a musical artist, so some people are familiar with his songs. Acquaintances and former students of his frequently spot him, and we have to stop and exchange pleasantries.

Overall, Haitian people tend to be warm and friendly. It's a nice change of pace from what I am used to. I find myself being more open with others and cultivating a willingness to slow down, set aside my own interests, and savor the richness of human interaction.

Acquiring Goods and Services


Of course, the culture of establishing and maintaining relationships with others is more than a matter of being nice in Haiti. In the U.S., there is virtually unlimited access to all the goods and services one might need (unless it's 2020 and we're talking about toilet paper. lol). In Haiti, it's more difficult to acquire things. Being friendly with people and showing a personal interest in them is essential for finding what you need at a reasonable price. For example, the electrician who installed our solar power is on friendly terms with my husband, so he donated some labor. Another friend helps us find and purchase bananas. (It may seem strange, but good-quality bananas are hard to come by. Yes, they are grown locally and in abundance, but buying them without spending an arm and a leg is a trick.)

I rather like the sense of community in Haiti. It's a bit of a bummer that Google and Amazon are no longer the pathways to everything I might need, but I'll adapt.

Learning the Haitian Language

I enjoy languages. I love to learn about patterns of grammar, and I like to explore the rhythm and sounds of language. I'm decent at learning new vocabulary and understanding sentence structure. However, I'm not great at mastering new languages for one simple reason — I hate talking to people.

Of course, I have to practice practice practice if I want to become fluent in Haitian Creole. It's exhausting. My ability to converse in Creole is limited, so I end up having the exact same conversation with multiple people. I also have to ask people to repeat themselves a lot because they speak at a native pace, which makes my head whirl. It's even more challenging when we are wearing masks, such as at our place of worship, because I can't see their mouths moving.  As someone who gets worn out by talking to other humans, I sometimes find myself wishing I could give up on learning Creole so no one would speak to me. (I know that's not an option. It's just an introvert's dream.)

I Won't Become an Extrovert

Certainly, Haiti is pushing me outside my comfort zone. The good news is that I've never been super comfortable in my comfort zone. That is to say, I enjoy trying new things and taking on new challenges. I'll never become an extrovert because it's not like my brain chemistry is suddenly going to do a 180. However, I will continue to work to build up my tolerance for human interaction. I enjoy talking with people. I enjoy seeing their friendly smiles, learning their stories, and discovering what value I might be able to add to their life. Haiti gives me a glorious opportunity to do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is It Like to Drive in Haiti?

The Story of Our Wedding Day